Ahhhh Lasagna, I have to admit it is one of my favorite winter meals. I mean who doesn’t love pasta layered with hot bubbly cheese with a crispy top layer. Admit it you covet that crispy corner!
I typically make mine with a Bolognese and Bechamel sauce mixture, the layers of delicious pasta with ooey gooey melted cheeses YUM!!! With the holiday season just ending ( aaand a lot of food enjoyment) I wanted to try out a lighter recipe that had veggies and greens in it but not have it be like a salad in between pasta layers.
I know that deliciously browned crispy cheesy top layer certainly does not look lighter but spinach, mushroom and onion veggie goodness has snuck its way in between those delicious cheesy pasta layers. Plus by using lowfat dairy options you cut down on the calorie count.
As many of you may notice I love cooking with Essential Oils. The oils enhance the natural flavor combinations in the food creating a truly sensational dish. I used Taste of Italy Oil in this recipe, it is a blend of Basil, Thyme and Oregano.
If you want to add an additional protein kick to this some ground chicken or turkey would go great with the veggie white sauce.
- 1 package Barilla no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 (15-ounce) package part skim milk ricotta
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess water patted out
- 2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Fresh Mozzarella slices for the top of the lasagna
- ½ Cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
For the sauce;
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1Tablespoon Black Truffle Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound Cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ pound Portobello Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups lowfat milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 drops Taste of Italy Essential Oil – You can purchase Taste of Italy Essential oil through this link: To Order Taste of Italy Essential Oil
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. This will make the mixture a thick paste like consistency.
Gradually whisk in milk, be sure to whisk constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil, oregano, nutmeg, salt and pepper, to taste and the 2 drops of Taste of Italy Essential oil; set aside.
Spread 1 cup mushroom sauce onto the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish; top with lasagna noodles, 1/4 of the ricotta cheese, 1/4 of the spinach, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/8 cup Parmesan. Repeat with a second and third layer. Top with remaining noodles, mushroom sauce and cheese. Place fresh Mozzarella slices on top of the lasagna.
Place into oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until bubbling. Then turn on broiler and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until top is browned in spots.
Serve, garnished with fresh basil, if desired.
Note: This lasagna will freeze nicely, just ensure to cover tightly with plastic wrap the foil. To bake remove plastic wrap but recover with foil. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Adapted from Damn Delicious