Ahh the holidays, family get togethers and parties galore. I always stress about what appetizers to make, always! I hate to be predictive and serve the same things at every occasion, probably one of the residual traits of being a food blogger and wanting that WOW factor. One Appetizer that is super versatile and everyone enjoys is a Holiday Charcuterie and Cheese Board. Learn about my favorite products and tricks on How to Assemble a Holiday Charcuterie and Cheese Board.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Oil & Vinegar. All opinions are entirely my own.
There is an art in my opinion to creating a well rounded board. Definitely more to it than placing a block of cheese and salami on a cutting board with some crackers and you’re done. There needs to be a variety of cheeses, always ensure to have at least 3-4 different types of cheeses on the platter to satisfy different palates. Here comes the big question, What kind of cheese should I buy?? If you have any questions about specific types of cheeses visit your local cheesemonger I guarantee you they will introduce you to some new delicious cheeses to try out. Here are some guidelines when it comes to choosing cheeses.
- Fresh & young: Think fresh or lightly aged goat cheese and ricotta.
- Bloomy rinded: Earthy, typically soft and creamy, with a fluffy white rind like Brie.
- Semi-firm: Creamy, smooth texture, and rich flavor similar to Havarti.
- Firm & aged: Hard texture – can be crumbly – and lingering nutty flavor like aged Parmesan.
- Blue: Creamy texture, with a pungent aroma and a sharp, salty bite.
Pretty much the same rule of thumb goes for the meats as well in regards to having a variety present. My typical go to charcuterie items are prosciutto, peppered dry salami and Genoa salami.
While cheeses and charcuterie are the stars of the platter you also need a variety of fillers, these items can be fresh fruit, dried fruit, olives, nuts and chutneys. I love the variety that Oil & Vinegar offers in their store of dips and chutney items. I am obsessed with the Kalamata Olive and Fig Delicacy as well as the Strawberry and Onion Chutney. With Oil and Vinegar’s products heavily influenced with Mediterranean flavors their products pair well on Cheese and Charcuterie Platters no matter what types of cheeses and meats you choose.
Not only does Oil and Vinegar carry wonderful dips and spreads they carry a variety of Mediterranean olives, from Spain, Provence and even Greece.
Once you have selected your cheeses, meats, fillers, fruit and crackers in a methodical manner start placing them on your board or platter. I always start with the cheeses first spread out, then meats and finally the fruit and fillers. In no time you have a fantastic looking Holiday Charcuterie and Cheese Board!
So don’t stress over holiday appetizers and get creative with your Charcuterie and Cheese Board. Oil and Vinegar has the products to make your cheese and meat selections stand out. Plus, for my readers, Oil and Vinegar is offering a 20% discount on your in store or online purchase. Just enter code Simple20 at checkout! It’s that easy to stock up on some great items for your pantry or to give as holiday gifts!
Enjoy the holiday season my friends!
- 8 oz each of 3-4 types of cheese of your choice. My go to cheeses are: Goat Cheese, Brie, Parmesan or Blue Cheese
- 8oz each of Peppered Salami, Prosciutto and Genoa Salami
- Filler Ingredients such as Dried Apricots, Cashews or almonds.
- Variety of fresh fruit such as; Red Seedless Grapes, Fresh Figs- cut into halves and quarters, pears or apples.
- Variety of crackers such as Triscuit, water crackers or Oil & Vinegar Grissini
- 1 jar Oil & Vinegar Strawberry and Onion Chutney
- 1 jar Oil & Vinegar Kalamata Olive and Fig Delicacy
- 1 jar of Oil & Vinegar Mixed Provencal Olives
Slice meats and cheeses to desired thickness. Grab a big board and then start arranging. Place the cheeses down first and then throw in everything else around them, have some fun with it. Things can hang off the board, it’s ok! Add some of the fresh fruit when you need a colorful moment, then nuts and crackers. The perfect charcuterie and cheese board ready for all your holiday entertaining!